Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Duw, mae'n boeth!

Oh man it's hot here in Athens! I am fantasising about a week on a beach in Iceland, sunning myself on a glacier somewhere. In a while I shall go to bed, sure that I will wake up in about four hours with an unquenchable desire for cold orange juice. I have orange juice, but never enough for this heat.
Waiting for the bus in Chremonidou St in the morning turns into a frenzied battle with a dozen other commuters to occupy the one spot on the pavement which is shaded by an overhead balcony. This is followed by an undignified brawl on the bus to secure a position near the air conditioning unit. Walking from the bus stop in the centre of the city to my office now requires advance planning to chart out a route which offers maximum shade potential. Work, incidentally, is almost pleasant now, thanks to the air conditioning, though in an act of unparalleled malice my company has just deleted all the games from the server in order to encourage us to work just that little bit harder despite the heat. No chance!
I remember, when I was a kid, a well-known trash newspaper called the Sun, famous for its recent "scoop" which consisted of photos of Saddam Hussein in his boxer shorts, reported on a British "heatwave" with the memorable headline "Britain sizzles in the seventies" For those unfamiliar with trusty old Fahrenheit, 70 degrees F. is about 21 degrees centigrade, positively arctic compared with now.
Unable to sway the world's great leaders, I shall instead take full advantage of the global warming George Bush has decided to embrace rather than threaten the American economy and head off in a few days to the island of Serifos. I shall expose my genetically unprotected British skin to unwisely long periods of UV radiation and use foolishly low SPF sun cream. I hope many bloggers will be able to do the same or something similar.
Have a great summer, bloggers, or a great winter for those south of the equator.

Enjoy the summer, kalo kalokairi a mwynheuwch yr haf

Jamie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home